The Sea Instructor award course is designed for those who wish to become professional sea kayak guides and instructors. Candidates must be able to successfully model the Sea Skills set, and be comfortable paddling in fresh wind conditions (17-21 knots) with seas up to 1m.
The holder of this award is qualified to guide and instruct individuals or groups of novices on activity and day based programs in sea kayaks in Sea conditions:
- Outside of estuaries, harbours, embayments or other sheltering reefs or islands
- Areas of exposed coastline that are simple, not involving overfalls or tidal races
- Difficult landings or open crossings may be included
- Maximum of 5 nautical miles from shore
- Wind conditions below Strong Wind Warning (26kn) Breaking (whitecapping) waves (sea) up to 1.5m
- Surf to 1.0m
During the course we take an in-depth look at the more technical aspects of paddling, a range of rescue and towing techniques, rolling, surf skills as well as weather, tides and navigation, with a focus on instructing skills.
View the Paddle Australia Assessment Guidelines for this award here: Sea Instructor Award
Location: Perth and South West Area (location is dependant on weather and ocean conditions)
Dates: See booking link for dates or contact us for more info.
Minimum Numbers: 2 people
Cost: $1000/person plus Paddle Australia fees. It is expected that course participants will have all their own equipment. A limited number of kayaks and safety equipment may be available for hire for an additional fee.